A state where the economy works in every county, for every Georgian
We must build a Georgia where no one has to work more than one full-time job to make ends meet. A fair economy means investing in diverse businesses, fighting for equality in the workplace, lifting families out of poverty, and ensuring access to affordable healthcare. Fairness is the backbone of an economy that eliminates poverty and fosters prosperity for every family.
- NEW: The Georgia Economic Mobility Plan – Georgia families deserve a leader who will invest in every person, and who has an economic mobility vision that will increase prosperity, lift families from poverty, reduce income inequality, and ensure a fair and inclusive economy for all Georgians. As Georgia’s next governor, Stacey Abrams will prioritize economic mobility to ensure every hardworking family has the chance to succeed and prosper. The Georgia Economic Mobility Plan will grow the economy for all Georgians. It will focus on earnings, savings, skills, worker protections and inclusion: Read the plan here.
- Georgia’s Advanced Energy Jobs Plan is the first in a series of economic revitalization proposals to deliver 25,000-45,000 long term, high wage jobs in Georgia – from construction, coding, sales, and installation to manufacturing and beyond. Georgia must have a bold and comprehensive economic vision to (1) ensure no person has to work more than one full-time job to make ends meet and (2) catalyze the creation of good-paying jobs in all 159 counties, at all skill levels. We must leverage our natural resources and assets, working together across sectors, to build an economy for every worker. Let’s imagine more for our state and create an economy that leads the nation in advanced energy jobs and local innovation. Read the plan here.
- Investment in Community Businesses: Small businesses employ more Georgians, and they can be started anywhere. As Governor, Stacey Abrams will direct more of our economic development dollars to our hometown businesses: the barbershop that wants to expand, the nurse who wants to launch a home healthcare company, the entrepreneur who can’t get venture capital in rural Georgia. Funds will be targeted to reach low-income communities and rural counties, and we will help Georgia businesses expand by offering access to capital.
- Workplace Equality: We must demand that our workplaces never discriminate based on a person’s race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, disability, or immigration status. As Governor, Stacey will promote policies to ensure pay equity and expand paid sick leave. Georgia should require a living wage in every county. Furthermore, the right to form a union and collectively bargain for fair wages and employment conditions is fundamental to workplace fairness. As Minority Leader, Stacey has never wavered in her opposition to legislation that would erode the rights of workers to bargain for fair pay and safe workplace conditions. A proud LGBTQ* ally, Stacey co-sponsored civil rights legislation in Georgia, fought against “religious freedom” legislation, and co-signed bills to prohibit employer termination of LGBTQ* Georgians based on their status.
- Lift Families Out of Poverty: Moving from poverty to prosperity must be the mission of our next governor. Economic mobility improves neighborhoods and schools and decreases reliance on welfare programs and incarceration rates. As Minority Leader, Stacey defeated Republican tax plans to increase sales taxes on working families, and she opposed legislation to restore taxes on groceries. As Governor Abrams would improve tackle poverty among our working families by establishing a state Earned Income Tax Credit, bridging transition from welfare to work without immediately eliminating benefits, and expanding access to childcare tax credits and subsidies. She will also continue her fight to protect workers from misclassification as independent contractors and abusive on-call scheduling, providing families with predictable workweeks and predictable paychecks.
- Access to Affordable Healthcare: Access to affordable healthcare is a right, and guaranteeing quality services improves families, communities and the workplace. As Minority Leader, Stacey worked to sign Georgians up for the Affordable Care Act and she has fought for Medicaid expansion – the only path forward for providing essential health coverage to the working poor and preventing closure of our rural hospitals and the economic collapse of surrounding communities. Stacey has spearheaded critical legislation combatting the misclassification of workers as independent contractors, which denies them Medicaid benefits they have earned. When elected governor, Stacey will work to expand Medicaid and provide coverage for 500,000 Georgians, create 56,000 jobs, stabilize our rural counties and explore pathways to universal coverage in our state. She will support reproductive freedom and access to treatment for women, regardless of ability to pay. Also, across our state, more than half of our counties lack access to OB/GYNs or pediatricians. Stacey will leverage state and federal programs to incentivize more doctors and medical personnel to locate in under-served areas, and she will work with practitioners to reduce our maternal and infant mortality rates and increase access to care.
- Innovation and Green Jobs: Growing Georgia’s economy means we must diversify our jobs and support innovation across sectors. With the right policies, Georgia can lead the Southeast in advanced energy jobs. As Governor, Stacey will work with public and private partners to create new jobs in infrastructure, clean energy, biotech and agritech, as well as expand broadband to connect our communities to the Internet. We can train our students in growing fields like energy engineering, sustainability science and build an energy innovation ecosystem across the state.